In some cases, the most appropriate treatment for varicose veins in either the short ot long term is compression of the leg with graduated compression hosiery. This may be the best option during pregnancy or in elderly or poorly mobile patients.
Class 1 stockings are a lighter grade of stocking, useful for
- reducing the risk of DVT on long flights,
- during pregnancy to minimise damage to leg veins,
- standing occupations to reduce leg veins stress and discomfort.
Class 2 stockings are a heavier and stronger stocking, useful for
- compression after sclerotherapy or endovenous laser treatment,
- severe varicose veins during pregnancy,
- management of superficial thrombophlebitis (superficial vein clots)
- venous ulcer healing
Brands stocked include Varisan, Maxis, Venosan and Jobst.